Monday, December 17, 2012

Closing Week

Another show finds its way to a close.  "Love Song" by John Kolvenbach ends its run this week with four more shows.  It's been a fun show and has had great responses. (save for one bad review Glenn Heath, as Joan's laid-back hubby, Harry, provides a pleasant vocal balance. But nearly everything he does seems geared toward an audience.)  Still, I felt the last weekend was flat.......at least for me.  That seems to be a struggle at the moment.  I try not to "lock everything in" when I'm playing a character simply to keep it fresh for me.  Obviously blocking, lines, cues, etc need to be consistent, but I always like to push the envelope and give scenes a bit more dynamics.  Didn't feel that way this weekend.  Obviously I hear something different from the Director, so maybe it's possible that I stopped doing what I was being charged with in the review and actually settled into the normalcy of my character.  Perhaps.  Still, this production has been a nice palette cleanser as I tend to do one play for every three musicals.  

Which is where I am now, prepping for Sweeney Todd.  #1 bucket list role, and even though it's technically an US role, it's community theater and I'll be performing at least 3 shows.  To me that's great.  Last time I was in Sweeney was as the Judge in Oct 2011 and I only had 3 performances then too.  The title role is a bit different.  Act I is not too bad, but Act II is a bitch.  Mostly music for this one with the smattering of dialogue, but stage presence is going to be the key.  Not a lot of time either for me on stage as this is a remounting of the production done this past Oct.  Still, I am up for the challenge, and will get right back to it once I've posted here.  Excited doesn't even begin to cover the feelings.  And, it's nice to know that I was chosen.  It's a little validation for when I auditioned originally.  I don't know if I would have been cast then had I not been out of town for the closing weekend, but being brought in now does feel good.

Then what????  I hate looking ahead as it seems that I'm not devoting the focus I should for my current show(s).  That's a fair comment, but if I don't look at the horizon, then well I might miss a great opportunity.  Tons this year too.  Wow!   I've promised not to do as many shows this year, and that having been said, there are enough productions to make me go crazy.  I'm definitely auditioning for "Next to Normal", "Music Man" and "The Producers", but there's "Cabaret", "Into the Woods (Sondheim!!!!! Yes)", "The Wild Party", "How to Succeed in Business......", and I think "Guys and Dolls".  The only one I know I won't audition for is  Signature Productions' "Camelot".   I'm excited for the company's return as they mount great shows, but with so many other shows, I'm not so keen on this one as I played Arthur in '02.  I think I'm too old anymore for it and the only other role I'd play is Pellinore, and I'm not old enough for that one.

Funny, those are all musicals......don't even know of any straight plays other than the ones already cast......except for "Death of a Salesman".......Willy Loman......bucket list role for sure.........hmmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment