Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Characterize This

A new year and already knee deep in theater.  I love it.  I've resolved to balance my time better this year, but that doesn't stop me from performing. Just need to be a little more ............selective. Not sure if that's the right word as I would never accept a role I wasn't interested in playing.  I guess I mean that I have to learn to not accept roles that will overlap.  Ten shows in 2012 is quite a few.  Some were short runs, but it's the rehearsal time that kills ya.

Speaking of rehearsal, that's what I did over my Christmas Vacation.  Sounds like something you'd write about in grade school, and if that were the case, I don't think I could be more excited.  Bucket List #1 is checked off my list, though not permanently.  The remounting of Sweeney Todd happened last week, and to great acclaim.  I'm in the production filling in for the title character on performances that the originating actor can't fulfill.  As it stands, 3 of 12.  Not great, but as many as I performed when I played Judge Turpin in 2011 and as many as I did for Sgt. Merwin J. Toomey in Biloxi Blues last November.   I guess that's what I mean by selective.  I had two weeks to learn the Judge and three to learn the Barber himself and the turn-around was quick.  With Biloxi, it was a month of rehearsals for three shows in two days.  A rewarding character, but not enough time.

Obviously, Sweeney is an exception.  I was thrilled to be asked to, for lack of a better term, understudy the role.  I say lack of, because it is Community Theater, you split the role.  An understudy gets paid when they take the stage.   Semantics aside, I wanted the role the first time around and though disappointed in not getting it, I certainly now get to show what I can do with the role.  I didn't want the title character to play as a lunatic or a madman, but as an "everyman" who, through a narrow vision of revenge makes a series of choices that inevitably puts him over the edge.  I think I accomplished most of what I wanted.  Obviously, I had to follow direction and be shaped into the character the Director wanted, but it was clear to both of us that I couldn't and wouldn't try to mimic the other actor's portrayal.

The process was tough, and as rewarding as anything I've done up to this point.  Musically, Sondheim is a son-of-a-bitch and Sweeney has got to be one of the hardest shows, but it being my favorite, I was certainly hungry for the challenge (pun intended).  The show opened Jan 4, and I began rehearsing on Dec 16th with my first full dress/tech run on Jan 2nd.  I was to perform in the soft open on Jan 3rd, so....yeah....time was crucial.  Considering the holidays, there wasn't a whole lot of time.  Did I mention this was my #1 bucket list role.? (Still on my list to do again).

I'm not likely to be reviewed, though feedback up to this point has been fantastic.  I just hope the voice holds up.  Had a bit of a scare earlier this week, but I'm not as bad off as I could be were I still smoking.

It all works out I guess.  I didn't have to worry about work;  Best Little Whorehouse at the Plaza Hotel went dark and I had no other conflicts save for finishing "Love Song".   I'm quietly dancing for what I pulled off.  I tend to be humble, but this blog is for some of my inner, gooey feelings and stuff.  YEA ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment