Wednesday, January 1, 2014

"The 14 shows of 2013 to prepare for 2014." or "What I've learned in the past year."

As a final blog entry for the year 2013 or what has ended up being the first post of 2014, I thought I would review what I’ve learned over the course of the past year.  Oddly, there were 14 shows this year that I was either involved with, been asked to be part of, or had auditioned for and didn’t get.  I figured that it would be interesting to look back at the past year and comment on all the opportunities I had and reflect upon them.  Not just the nine shows I was fortunate to perform in, but the might have beens too. Forgive the cliches and the obvious lessons.  But it's my blog and it's my way of being grateful.

Sweeney Todd – Title Role - Dec/Jan
There are times for being selfish and times for being selfless. Plan accordingly.
  • It’s interesting how sticking to your priorities and beliefs can pay off.  I had originally auditioned for the title role back in July/Aug of 2012 for the October 2012 production, but had a conflict on the last Saturday of the performance schedule.  It certainly was something I could have changed, but it was important to me and my relationship that I put my girlfriend first.  I don’t know whether I would have been offered the role had I been willing to change my conflict, but I knew that I had sacrificed important people and relationships in the past and I didn’t want to repeat mistakes.  I don’t regret that choice, and I think I earned the respect from the Director for sticking to my principles.  As things would turn out, the show was a success and was remounted for an additional run in Jan 2013.  As things would also turn out, the lead couldn’t meet all the performance dates in January.  So I was called.  I re-auditioned and accepted the role on the condition that I would have guaranteed performances.  And so began the two week process of learning the title role of Sondheim’s most recognized work.  The second run was a sell-out success, and I got to put a check by my #1 bucket list role.  It's not crossed off yet, because I’m not done with it.  I surprised myself in this production. Firstly, I was scared shitless that I wouldn’t learn the role in time and that I couldn’t meet the vocal demands of the show. Or worse: I’d be a flop.  Thankfully, I had a ton of support and brought everything I had to the performances.  I had a few bumps, but nothing noticeable and I finally found my voice again after years of struggling.
Next to Normal – Dr. Fine/Dr. Madden - March
There are shows you want to do and shows that you have to do. Learn the difference.
  • This was a show that I “had” to do.  Some shows just speak to you and this show screamed to me.  Suffice to say, I’ve lived this show and knew all too well the emotions that this show would invoke.  I knew that Dan Goodman was the role I had to play.   I was confident in many things going into the audition process, but the voice I found in Sweeney was gone……..or at least misplaced.  Regardless, I still got the callback, but then it just got worse.  After the callback, I waited two weeks; no communication save for the production posting for more men to audition.  After a few messages back and forth, I was told I was no longer being considered for the role of Dan, and that was that.  Except it wasn’t.  I was asked to re-audition and despite feeling I would be able to “bring it”, I didn’t. In the end, I accepted the roles of Dr. Fine/Dr. Madden.  Like I said before, I had to do the show.  It was a very good production, and we had great reviews.  I was proud of my performances and received praise for this being some of my best vocal work.    Still, it was a difficult show to perform, and not because of the emotions I had to deal with from the show’s subject matter.  I learned from this production that your heart has to be 100% invested.  I certainly didn’t shirk my responsibilities in this production, but I can certainly attest to how hard it is to be part of a show and watch someone else perform “your” role.  I know now that should I be put in this position again, I’ll have to work extra hard to embrace the role I’m offered or pass on the production all together, regardless of how much the show screams at me.
Violet –  April
Respect requests to audition.  Even if you are unable to accommodate, show some courtesy.
  • I probably could have done this show, as it would have worked within my schedule, but sometimes time just runs out and things don’t happen.  I didn’t audition for this show as I wanted to be available for the first show of Super Summer Theater, Music Man.  Still, I was contacted by the production to audition and did, and might have had the role, but ultimately didn't.  Not sure what the reasoning was, but “potential conflict” was likely the cause.  No hard feelings by either party.  It is what it is.  I will say that I will always honor requests to audition.  You never know what else may be down the road. 
Guys and Dolls – Benny Southstreet - March 29th
Sometimes you make exceptions for your friends and for the benefit of the show.
  • I think this is the role that solidified the rumor that I was in every show, as it was only March and I was already doing another production.  Yet it was also another show that I didn’t audition for; as I wasn’t interested in doing just one performance.  I value my time, and didn’t want to spend a couple of months rehearsing to perform just one night.  Rude?  Maybe. Honest?  Absolutely.  Regardless, the director was in a bind and called me to help him out.  Four other actors had dropped the role of Benny Southstreet, and he wanted me to step in.  From what I knew, I wouldn’t have a lot of lines to learn, but a fair share of singing.  I also knew that with the show less than three weeks out, I would have to bust some ass. We worked my schedule and I had four nights of rehearsal plus two tech days of availability.  Game on.  It was a crap shoot, but we had a great show. And despite my qualms about a one night stand, it was cool to perform on the same stage as Elvis and in front of a 1,000 people.  Of course it's always cool to help a friend.
Tony and Tina’s Wedding – Father Mark - April (ongoing)
Sometimes the business is slow.  Things are only done when you stop.
  • Three years and five callbacks later, I finally get cast in the perennial strip show, Tony and Tina’s wedding.  I never thought I’d get the call, especially since the role I was cast for had three performers already, but scheduling and timing worked in my favor and during the summer I finally got to perform in my third strip show.  Portraying Father Mark was short lived and anti-climactic, but I enjoyed putting the Improv chops back to work.  I’m still in the cast, but with the show down to two days a week, I’m not likely to see much stage time.  Still, I believe desire and persistence pay off.  In this case, literally.
Music Man – June
When your best isn’t good enough, don’t overthink it.  The Director just went in a different direction.
  • There are the old sayings: “a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush” and “don’t put all your eggs into one basket”.  This show was a little of both for me.  Initially, I had been asked to audition for Urinetown and then for Violet, but I had my eyes set on portraying Harold Hill.  So I had one bird, maybe a second bird, but instead I put all my eggs in an Iowan basket.  Or at least I was Iowa Stubborn.  I had my heart set on playing opposite my real-life girlfriend and recapturing some of the summer theater magic from when we met two years ago.  Murphy’s Law won out and I ended being without any show.  I have no regrets.  I gave a great audition and had a better call back, but in the end I wasn’t what the director was looking for.   Thick skin is needed in this world, and if you dwell on all the roles you didn’t get, it’s likely you’ll miss other opportunities.  General rule: If you don’t think you’re good enough, how can you expect anyone else to?
Urinetown the Musical – Officer Barrel - May 
Make the best of every opportunity.  No one remembers mediocrity.
  • So as it turns out, I didn’t audition for Urinetown and yet the Director still contacted me after a cast member dropped out of the show.  The director was looking to see if I knew anyone that would be willing to step into the role of Officer Barrel, and since I wasn't doing Music Man, I volunteered.  He didn’t expect me to offer myself, and I think he was surprised that I’d be willing to take a small role.  I had three weeks before curtain and not a whole lot to learn, but I still took advantage of the opportunity to work with Nevada Conservatory at UNLV.  I made a lot of new contacts and did a lot with what would normally just be considered a “featured ensemble” role.
How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying -  July
Yeah…..you’ll never succeed without trying.
  • Not much to say on this one.  Went in, auditioned, got called back, went back in and that was it.  I never got a bad feel on this one, but that’s how it is sometimes.  Things just happen.  That’s show business.  It’s cliché, but true. That’s why it’s cliché.
Sudoku [the musical] - Clint - June
Put yourself out there.  The risk is great, but the reward is greater.
  • An unforgettable show.  I describe it as a two hour show in a 30 minute bag.  An original musical with an emotional story.  Since I wasn’t doing either of the first two shows of SST, I thought I’d audition for a show in the 4th annual LV Fringe Festival.   I’d been asked about a couple of other entries, but I was curious about one in particular: an original…..world premiere…...a challenge.  I got the challenge right away with the entire production.  I was working with a new director, new music director, a rock-style score and a stage partner that I was really intimidated by.  Two months later, I walked away with some of the best lessons I’ve ever learned from being on the stage.    I found my voice in a way that I hadn’t before.  I learned that when you share the stage with someone, anyone, you have to rise beyond any expectations or limitations and tell the story.  This show gave me new vision and energy and was worth every second.  Sadly it was over too soon, but this is the show that will stay with me forever.  It wasn’t about the sell-out performances or about winning “Best of Fringe”. Those things were great, but what was best was the feeling I felt after every performance that the audience was with us for the journey.
Legally Blonde – August
Show respect, get respect.  No one will fault you for your professionalism.
  • This would have been a fun show to do.  And there was a part of me that considered putting myself up for the role of Prof Callahan.  My girlfriend was up for a good role and the pressure to do a show with her was mounting.  We had tried three other times and this could have been the show.  Regardless, I knew I was being considered for a role in the fourth Super Summer Production, The Producers, and I really wanted it.  I was contacted by the director to come to the auditions, but I explained to him that I was auditioning for the next show.  Still, I got a call back from him and he wanted me to consider the role of Callahan.  I’ll admit, I thought about it.  It would have been a juicy role and I could have spent a lot more time with my girlfriend.  But I passed.  Don’t get me wrong, I love being offered roles without having to audition, but I prefer to work for the roles I want.  
Raiding the Rock Vault – Nash Freeman - July (ongoing)
You’ll always miss 100% of the shots you never take.
  • The irony of theater hit hard on this one.  I found out about the casting of this project months prior; before the show ever came to Vegas from its previews in LA.  I was told I was too old for the part of the show’s narrator.  The person who told me this was in no way involved with the project, but I believed him.  I didn’t think much of it then, but when auditions were called for understudies, I realized that his opinion didn’t matter so I set out to prove him wrong.  This was a fairly big deal as it was for a show at the Hilton (LVH) and paid really well.  I knew who I would be going up against, and when all was said and done, I beat out all the others.  All of them younger than me and some half my age.  I would jump at the chance to do this show nightly. It’s one of those shows that feel like opening night every night.  I doubt it will happen, but I’m always excited when I’m called in for the show.  I try not to have regrets, but I do wish I’d had more faith in myself and auditioned for the role in the first place.  Glad I do now.
The Producers – Roger De Bris - September
If you’re expected to bring it, you better damn well bring it.
  • So I waited over year to audition for this show and I had both the luxury and curse of knowing that the role was mine to lose.  I say that a bit tongue in cheek as nothing was guaranteed.  Had I blown my audition, I am sure I never would have been offered the role.  Still, I had worked with the director twice before, and I knew that when he told me months before to look at the role, that I had a shot.  Needless to say, I put everything into the audition and eventually into the role.  Very proud of my performances, especially after totally my car two weeks before opening and wiping out on my motorcycle during the second week of performances.  Supposedly I stole the show…….and according to the review, the show within the show.  Heil Myself!
Line – Dolan - November
Enjoy the ride and pay attention.  There is always something to learn.
  • This one came out of the blue.  I hadn’t auditioned for the show, and honestly didn’t even know about it.  UNLV’s Nevada Conservatory Theatre and Cockroach Theatre were both celebrating their 10th anniversaries, and it was decided to do a collaborative production to commemorate the event.  As it turns out, Line was the first production done by Cockroach and to bring it full circle, it would be directed by one of the former cast members.  I was contacted by the director and offered the role of Dolan without audition.  Oddly, it was the same character he had portrayed ten years ago, so it was kind of cool to be considered.  I accepted knowing little of the show, but I trusted the director as he was the director of Sudoku.  I was the only cast member that was not a student of UNLV, and for that matter the only non-UNLV affiliate in the entire production.  Still, it was great to work with hungry actors.   I got to see myself in their eyes and remember some of the earlier years.  Let's hope I carry that with me for the next production. ......Master of the House????? Fingers  crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment