Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Been a few years.....


I try to avoid using Facebook as a means to espouse my theories on life, or art, or even politics.  I find that there is already far too many neophytes and troglodytes out there with dead-set opinions and narrow-minded viewpoints that I will either be ridiculed, ignored, or otherwise provided with the TLDR response. There is a far greater opportunity for me to take experiences and knowledge and allow for self-reflection and critical thinking to enhance my views of the world.  Having said that, I am taking a moment from posting cat memes and funny “balls to the nuts” videos to share something near and dear to my heart, theatre.  Surprise!!!
This Thursday, “The Underpants” (an adapted farce by Steve Martin) opens at Las Vegas Little Theater.  Like any production, there are new and familiar experiences; changes and adjustments; generosity and selfishness; and of course, unexpected situations that test one’s commitment to the art and the trust of the craft.
Las Vegas is a very small acting community, and the comments and actions of those within it are often the deciding factor in one’s ability to find work.  Most often, hard work and dedication pay off for the talent in this theatrical microcosm.  Whether it’s film, stage, or some other artistic medium, how you represent yourself, more often than not, is going to show you doors.  Depending on your words and/or actions, it may just become a lot of closed doors.
I realize no one is perfect, and we all have to make professional choices in our careers.  But it has to be understood that our choices have consequences.  I know I speak for myself and countless others that being on the outside looking in is not conducive to a successful career.  And the struggle to get back the trust which was lost because of a word or action is a Herculean task.   But if you’re committed and persistent…….and talented, you can prevail.  But you have to leave your attitudes, your entitlements, and your pettiness back on that other side of the door.
I love reminding myself of the magic of theatre and having the shared experiences with those willing to work on envisioning a story.   It is not always easy.  It is not always fair.  But I can guarantee that if you disrespect the craft and those around you who dedicate and devote their lives to perfecting the art, you will find yourself looking in. 
I’m proud to be opening “The Underpants” this week.  I hope that if you have the time and means, you will join us in our story.   That you will join us and share with us our work, our dedication, and our love of the craft.  By the way, “The Underpants” is a comedy. Unlike this post.  Cheers.


Post Script (09/05/18)
I wrote this on Facebook on 09/04/18, the day after seeing numerous posts by a cast mate deriding the production and the production team.  The individual sent an email to the Director with language and comments far beyond unprofessional.  And while this individual knew it would cause them to be fired from the cast, there seemed to be no remorse or regret to what that would mean for the cast or the production as a whole.  Noting that this was done less than four days before opening.

So, I posted a rare diatribe on Facebook and subsequently the individual blocked me.  I've come to learn of this individual's attempts to marginalize their actions and to malign me for supposed "threats" implied by my post.  I have not actively pursued sharing this person's behavior, I've not shared the communication originally posted to the public forum and later removed.  And I've not shared this person's name nor anything that would directly identify them.

However, despite being humble and despite said individual's comments about my insignificance in the theater community, this person's name is becoming known simply through the shared desire by the community to know who not to work with. I'm angry from what the person did, but liked the person until Monday night.  True nature comes forth and Karma is a bitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment