Saturday, October 29, 2005

Pagan Rituals

So another year is fast approaching its end. And I find my lack of enthusiasm for the holidays coming much sooner than last year. Yes, just like the Christmas decorations at your local Wal-Mart being displayed around Labor Day, I too have my personal feelings displayed like a black garland strand all too soon.

All the festivities I used to enjoy as a child are now so commercialized and diluted that I can't tell one from the next. So, as such, I say "Bah Humbug" to them all! Happy Hallo-thanksmas everyone! And to not be politically incorrect to other religions and socially accepted organizations, "Merry Christma-chanu-quanza-kah."

And what sucks even more, is that my parents had to conceive me during the spring, which forced my birth to fall right in the middle of all the Hallmark claptrap. It's no wonder this time of year is my least favorite. I can't even enjoy getting older without the constant reminder that there's only 37 days 'til X-mas.

The good news is that after 34 years of this blurring of celebration, I can now recognize my loathing. No more do I have to sit and ponder why I'm so depressed. I simply "know." It's the corporations' fault. I accept that. I understand their obsessive need to rake in billions of dollars for the crap they sell. On some levels, I even respect it. But let's be honest. The whole reason for the holidays being celebrated is lost. And far be it for our educational system to put a single toe out of line and even attempt to mention Jesus or the Pilgrims without the fear of a class action lawsuit for teaching religion. It's gotten so bad that many states don't even celebrate Columbus Day, but instead take the federal holiday in observance of "All Cultures' Day." So, yes, I blame the government too. And the media. Their dirty hands have to be in this one too.

Do I smell conspiracy?

I'm not so much of a purist, mind you. I am not devout in any religion, and I don't prescribe to any one theological doctrine. In fact, I'm just your average, ordinary, cynical, Non-Partisan, pseudo-environmentalist-cum-neo-libertarian, realist. Nothing fancy.

I just believe that our society shields itself from what is really there. It's the whole "out of sight, out of mind" principle, flavored with "as long as I've got mine" and "not in my backyard" thrown in for good measure. We're so afraid of offending someone, somewhere that our opinions can't even be offered without fear of backlash. It’s gotten so bad that we’re a country full of strangers in a world that’s never been as closely connected as it is today.

So this holiday season I have one wish, and it comes at no cost to you. It’s one-size-fits-all gift. I hope people will try to put aside their preconceived notions about religion, color or nationality. That they’ll disregard other people’s political stances or sexual preferences. That people will just be honest and intelligent. That they will take some time and just think; think what it means to be alive. Maybe even offer a little understanding and respect for their fellow man.

Shit! I’m starting to sound like a “Hallmark Hall of Fame” movie of the week.

Tonight on Lifetime, the touching story of an actor who’s listened to too many John Lennon songs.

It’s no wonder I hate the holidays.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with everything you said, except for the part about the holidays. The holidays ROCK! And I love the government and the media and corporations, but other than those things, I agree with you totally. Thanks for writing in your blog.

    ReplyDelete